Area Status: Open
This area is Open

The Huron-Manistee National Forests are 976,043 acres of public lands across the northern lower peninsula of Michigan. With many recreation opportunities for visitors, habitat for fish and wildlife and resources for local industry there is something here for everyone. Each year the forest receives approximately 4 million recreation visits. 

I Need...

Some Questions Answered

For all of your frequently asked recreation questions, including where and how to find a map, questions about passes and fees, and questions pertaining to specific activities we have developed a Frequently Asked Questions available on the website



A Recreation Pass

Recreation passes are available through any of our offices.  We offer a variety of passes so please check out our Passes and Permits page to determine which pass is right for you. 



To Find a Campground/Day Use/Trail/Boat Launch

Not sure where you want to go?  Know where you want to go, but can't figure out how to find the information on our website? 

Recreation sites are organized by activity and by area/location.  If you know what activity you want to do, just select it from the navigation on the left and you will get a list of sites and areas that have that activity. If you know what area you want, use the expandable menu on the right.  For areas not along a specific trail or river corridor, sites are organized by their general geographic proximity to each other.   



A Trail Map

We have many maps available on our website, including maps for the rivers and nonmotorized trails, located on the Maps and Publications page.  We do not have maps for individual campgrounds and day use sites. 

If you do not see the map you want, contact one of our offices to obtain a paper copy.



To Know the River Conditions

Visitors are urged to check river conditions with the National Weather Service, Gaylord Office, before visiting.



To Know Snowmobile Trail Conditions

To find trail conditions visit MSA Trail Reports.



To Know which Cross-Country Ski Trails are groomed

All winter trails are in the Recreation Conditions report below from December to March, and for nonmotorized trails will show if the trail is groomed or not in the "Area Conditions" column. 

At a Glance

Operational Hours: Check the About the Forest page for contact information and office hours for all offices and Lumberman's Monument Visitor Center.
Reservations: Reservations are required at some campgrounds and recommended for others on    Watercraft permits for the Pine and Pere Marquette Rivers are available on  
Permit Info: Special Use permits are required for groups of 75 people or more.  Contact an office for more information:
Restrictions: Make sure you are aware of any regulations for a particular activity and/or recreation site before visiting; restrictions vary by activity and location.  Forest Supervisor Orders are provided on each recreation sites web page and on the Alerts and Notices page.
Passes: There are a variety of passes and permits available for the Forests.  Recreation Enhancement Act and Interagency Passes are available for day use, trailhead and boating sites that charge a standard ammenity fee: Visitors to the Pine and Pere Marquette Rivers will need a watercraft permit to float either river from the Friday of Memorial Day weekend to the Monday of Labor Day weekend.  For more information:

General Information


For information on a specific site visit that sites webpage.   


Beaches & Dunes

Show detail SHOW


Show detail SHOW

Camping & Cabins

Show detail SHOW


Show detail SHOW


Show detail SHOW

Horse Riding & Camping

Show detail SHOW


Show detail SHOW

Nature Viewing

Show detail SHOW

OHV Riding & Camping

Show detail SHOW

Other Activities

Show detail SHOW

Outdoor Learning

Show detail SHOW


Show detail SHOW

Scenic Driving

Show detail SHOW

Water Activities

Show detail SHOW

Winter Sports

Show detail SHOW